Fields on Winddle
Fields on Winddle are the basic unit of information on any of the following objects: Products, Users, Companies, Factories, Projects, Project Lines and Quotation Requests & Quotes.
Most fields are simple text fields, while some others are dates or have more complex meaning, such as the price and quantity field of a project line.
Fields can be disabled (not visible at all on Winddle), visible (also called enabled) or updatable - which is a special status for Project/Project lines fields giving the right to update values in those fields for people other than the main owners.
Not all fields can be customized, some fields are mandatory, it is not possible, for instance, to disable the Project name or the Project line due date. The fields which can be customized are all available in the Field settings of your company.
Note that all those settings are part of what define your company on Winddle - an external partner accessing your objects (Products, project lines, contacts, etc.) will see them as you see them.
Product fields on Winddle are slightly different from other fields. It's not possible to customize their update rights (only product owners, company admins and project line managers using this product can update the fields on a Product), however, it is possible to enable/disable fields based on the current product category selected for the Product.
Project and Project line fields have two particularity:
- They can have different settings depending on the position of the partner. Project / Project Line manager will always see fields which have been enabled for at least one position. This feature allows to hide some data from external partners while keeping it visible for all internal partners.
- They can be set as updatable (the value of the field can be changed) for specific positions, meaning that any partner with a specific position (regardless of his ownership on the project/project line) can be allowed to modify the values of some specific fields. This is a great way to give control to your partners to set some values in your project / project lines while still controlling very finely the scope of the changes they can do.
On any of the main Winddle objects, it is possible to create custom text or date fields. Those fields will only have meaning within your company and will behave for most intents and purposes exactly as other fields (in statistics, in filtering, in forms, etc.)
There are no limits to how many fields can be created, however, for text fields, their content is limited to 255 characters.
Accessing the fields settings
To access the fields settings for your company, from the main user menu, open company settings, then open the Customization sub menu and click on Fields:
Understanding the field settings
Here are the main sections on the Field setting screen:
- Groups: click on a group name to see the field settings for that particular group - the list of groups depends on your company activated modules
- Conditions: some group of fields allow for more fine grained controls of the settings, for Product, you will be allowed to select the product category to which those settings apply, for project and project line, you'll be able to select the positions for which they apply. Not setting any condition, the default, just means that it applies unless a more specific authorization has been set.
- The name of your field - for custom fields, it is only available in the language you have created it in, otherwise, it's translated by Winddle
- This is the current setting for this field, given the selected condition, and is also the area where you can change the setting by clicking on the buttons. The currently active setting is highlighted in color.
- When this icon appears, it means that a different setting has been set for a different condition - hover with your mouse on this icon to see more details. This isn't an error, just a helpful reminder so that you don't need to go through all the possible conditions to make your changes.
- Clicking on the trash icon will delete the field for Custom Fields, as well as all of its data. The lock icon means that the field cannot be deleted, only disabled.
- Clicking on this icon will bring up the modal to update the list of values suggested when editing this field in the interface. If it's orange, it means the field already has some values set.
Many of the Winddle object's field settings only allow one level of customization: either the field is visible for everyone (enabled) or completely disabled.
In this case, it means that the authorizations for edition is inherited from the object itself, usually, only the owner (the user who created the object) and in some instance, the company admins are able to modify the value.
For such fields, first select the group (here, Request (Quotation)) then click on either Visible or Disabled. The changes are saved right away.
For specific product categories (Product fields)
The process is similar as when updating the settings for other fields, the only difference is that you are able to select a Category in the condition box at the top. The settings apply to all the descendants (direct and indirect children) of the selected category, unless a different setting has been set on one of those descendant.
Note: the only exception is the Category field itself. This field needs to be enabled to take advantage of the Product fields conditions.
For specific positions (Project/Project line fields)
The process is similar to updating the settings for other group of fields, however, note that here it is also possible to set the field as Updatable for a given position (or for all positions if none have been selected in the conditions dropdown). This gives the opportunity to enable further collaboration by allowing partners to set some values on the project / project line.
To change the settings of the fields for a certain position, first select the position in the condition area:
Note: settings for a position are always inherited from the settings for all positions. It is recommended, to simplify settings management, to keep the exceptions to a minimum and first start from the settings for all positions.
Managing custom fields
Adding a custom field
To add a custom field, select the group you want to add the field in then click on Add a custom field at the bottom of the list of fields.
Custom field names should be kept as short as possible, between 3 and 100 characters.
You'll then be prompted to enter a name as well as select the type of custom field: either a text or date custom field. Text custom fields have no particular semantic attached to them and could also contain date in any format, however, if the field itself always contain a date, the date type will provide more functionalities, such as smarter filtering - in this case, the format of the date is fixed to YYYY-MM-DD (full year, dash, padded month, dash, padded day of the month).
Deleting a custom field
To delete a custom field, click on the trash icon on the field's row.
Note: this operation is particularly dangerous as it will delete the field setting as well as all of the values entered for that field on the existing objects. It's not possible to recover those values after a deletion of a custom field.
Ordering and grouping fields
It is possible to set the order in which Products, Projects, Project lines, Requests and Quotes fields are displayed.
Use the drag and drop icon on the left of each field to order them as you want.
Note : Product reference and category are always displayed in the header of the product page. Project type, and Project's contacts specific fields (Supplier, Factory, Final Customer and Forwarder) also get a default display on the Project page.
Grouping custom fields
It is possible to group fields on Products, Projects/Project lines, Request and Quotes to get a clearer display.
Use the field section to create a new group.
The entered name will then be available in the drop down so that you can attach other fields to the same section.
If you need to create a new section, simply type it in the section field and press ENTER.
If no field is attached to a given section, its name will automatically be removed from the dropdown.
Note: the ordering of the section is related to the ordering of their fields, ie. order in first position section's fields of the section you want to display first.
Setting up list of values
Update the list of values
To show and/or update the list of values for a field, click on the list of values icon at the end of the field's row, when available.
Note: most text fields allow to set a list of values, but complex fields with specific behaviors or an inherent list of values, such as the list of countries, currencies or incoterms do not.
To add a value, in the list of values modal window, click on Add a value, enter the value and press enter.
To delete a value, click on the X next to it.
List of values usage
List of values are mostly used in forms, when editing the value. For instance, assuming a Custom Field in Project group called Period, with a list of values as follow:
When editing a Project in this company, the field Period Code is visible and Winddle will suggest the values from the list. It is however possible to enter any value - this is only a list of suggestions.